How can I prevent excessive earwax?

Arlen D. Meyers, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)

The type of earwax you have is genetically determined. Some have wax that is dry and brittle and others have wax that is soft. Wax has antibacterial properties and leaves the ear canal naturally by a conveyor belt mechanism that moves the wax from the ear drum level to the outside opening. If you traumatize the ear canal by using Q tips or something else, you damage that mechanism and actually can cause more wax to accumulate. So, here are some tips:

1. Don't stick Q tips any further than the outside opening of the ear canal. Don't push them into the canal
  2. Use a lubricant like baby oil or mineral oil to loosen wax and give it time to come out on its own.
  3. If you notice pain and drainage, you might have an external ear canal infection (swimmer's ear), so see a doctor.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with labyrinthitis?
The first step to caring for someone with labyrinthitis is to be aware of the symptoms and how they ...
What disorders affect the ear?
Common ear disorders can vary, depending on what part of the ear they affect. One of the most common...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?