Is otitis media with effusion a viral ear infection?

As opposed to acute viral ear infections, otitis media with effusion lasts over a period of time, becoming chronic. This is due to the fact that fluid does not drain from the middle ear after the infection passes. Fluid remaining in the middle ear makes recurring infections more likely and may lead to damage or deformation of the eardrum and bones in the middle ear. Surgery may be necessary to drain the fluid.

Christopher M. Garvey, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Otitis media with effusion (OME) is a condition where inflammation of the tissues in the middle ear space (behind the ear drum) has caused an escape of fluid into this space. Many factors such as viruses, bacteria, allergies, trauma (pressure from a flight), can cause this inflammation resulting in an effusion.   

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
Should a child with an ear infection see a doctor immediately?
Manuel B. Torres Jr., MDManuel B. Torres Jr., MD
Typically, yes. An ear infection tends to be painful and produce fever. Small children who do not ha...
What disorders affect the ear?
Common ear disorders can vary, depending on what part of the ear they affect. One of the most common...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?