How do other illnesses affect middle ear infections?

Middle ear infections are often caused by viral infections such as the common cold. When the Eustachian tube, which allows air to pass between the ear and the nasal passages, becomes obstructed (for example, with excess mucus from a cold), viruses and bacteria may grow in the space behind the eardrum. In addition, allergies that cause congestion may increase your chances of developing an ear infection.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What disorders affect the ear?
Common ear disorders can vary, depending on what part of the ear they affect. One of the most common...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with labyrinthitis?
The first step to caring for someone with labyrinthitis is to be aware of the symptoms and how they ...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?