How do medications treat acute otitis media?

Acute otitis media is most often treated with antibiotics, or drugs used to kill bacteria in the body. An antibiotic, like amoxicillin, is prescribed by a physician when the middle ear infection is bacterial. Antibiotics do not work on infections that are viral in nature.

In both children and adults, doctors generally recommend the use of pain reliever such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

Sometimes adults will be given a topical intranasal vasoconstrictor, like phenylephrine, to help make the Eustachian tube work better. This treatment does not benefit children, however.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What are the different types of ear infections?
There are three main kinds of ear infections, which are called acute otitis (oh-TIE-tus) media (AOM)...
What is an otitis media with effusion ear infection?
Otitis media with effusion (uh-FEW-zhun), or OME, is a build up of fluid in the middle ear without s...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?