Is perichondritis serious?

Perichondritis can be a serious infection, especially if not treated promptly. Because the infection only causes mild swelling, redness, and pain, it may not seem like a serious problem. However, if the infection is not treated, it can spread to the cartilage, leading to complications that could require a surgical removal of tissue from the ear.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
Is swimmer's ear related to bacterial ear infections?
Swimmer's ear is a type of ear infection that affects the outer ear (called the ear canal) and can b...
What is an ear infection?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
An ear infection happens when the inside of your ear gets stuffy, just like your nose. Your ear can ...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?