Is inner ear decompression sickness a sign of other illness?

In most cases, people with inner ear decompression sickness (IEDCS) have another form of decompression sickness as well. General decompression sickness can affect the brain, spinal cord, and lungs. Both IEDCS and decompression sickness arise from the same source, namely the presence of gas bubbles. With IEDCS, gas bubbles collect in the inner ear whereas decompression sickness finds them in the blood or organs.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What causes an acute otitis media ear infection?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Acute otitis media, or a middle ear infection, has several causes. When a child comes down with a co...
How does fluid build-up lead to acute otitis media?
The part of the ear that gets blocked by fluid is called the eustachian (you-STAY-shun) tube, which ...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?