Is cholesteatoma surgery safe?

Although cholesteatoma surgery can take a great deal of time, and it is complex, most cases of this type of surgery are successful. However, all surgeries carry risks. The risks that occur during cholesteatoma surgery have mainly to do with the ear and face.

• Hearing Loss: Cholesteatoma surgery involves removing a cyst from your middle ear, where the bones of hearing are, so there is a risk of deafness. Tinnitus, or constant noise in the ear, is also a risk.
  • Facial Paralysis: Because the facial nerve is located in the ear, facial paralysis, or losing the ability to move parts of your face, is one risk.
  • Taste Problems: A nerve that has to do with taste is located in the ear, so experiencing difficulties with taste is one potential risk of this surgery.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
When should I see a doctor if I have an ear infection?
With ear infections, you should see a healthcare provider if you have: temperature higher than 10...
How common are ear disorders?
Some ear disorders are more common than others. Otitis media, or middle ear infections, has been dia...
All About Ear Infections
All About Ear Infections