Is cholesteatoma surgery painful?

Although surgery is required to remove cholesteatoma in most cases, that surgery is typically low risk. Indeed, there is little risk or pain involved in all of the types of surgery used to treat cholesteatoma - several surgical options are available that target different areas of the ear and use different methods of entry.

Patients receiving cholesteatoma surgery are given anesthesia to eliminate pain. Most patients receive general anesthesia, while some may receive local anesthesia - or anesthesia given only at the area of operation - and sedatives via an IV.

After surgery, some patients suffer from dizziness and complications with taste that eventually resolve. Other complications, like hearing loss and facial paralysis, are permanent but uncommon.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is an earache?
Ear pain is generally the result of a buildup of fluid and pressure in the middle ear (the porti...
Should a child with an ear infection see a doctor immediately?
Manuel B. Torres Jr., MDManuel B. Torres Jr., MD
Typically, yes. An ear infection tends to be painful and produce fever. Small children who do not ha...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?