Is cholesteatoma cancer?

Cholesteatoma may look like a tumor, but it's actually a cyst, and it isn't cancerous. However, cholesteatoma can have affects on the body that are nearly as severe as cancer.

One of the problems that cholesteatoma is famous for is creating hearing loss. The cyst can eat away at bone and tissue that is associated with hearing, causing deafness.

Like cancer, cholesteatoma can also spread. If not removed, the cyst can eat its way into the brain and facial nerve, causing infection, facial paralysis, and in rare cases death.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
How common are ear disorders?
Some ear disorders are more common than others. Otitis media, or middle ear infections, has been dia...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with ear disorders?
People with ear disorders need proper medication and support for hearing or balance difficulties. If...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?