Is barotrauma serious?

Most forms of barotrauma are not usually serious. In most cases, ear barotrauma can be alleviated by yawning or chewing gum, and it goes away in a few hours at most. Serious cases can cause pain, short-term hearing loss, and ear infections. Very rarely, it can cause permanent hearing loss or tinnitus. Lung barotrauma is more potentially serious. It can inhibit blood flow by allowing air into blood vessels or chest tissue.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is hearing loss?
March of DimesMarch of Dimes
Hearing loss is when you can’t hear sound in one or both ears. It can range from mild to complete. H...
What are the different types of ear infections?
There are three main kinds of ear infections, which are called acute otitis (oh-TIE-tus) media (AOM)...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?