What increases my risk for ear disorders?

Risk factors vary depending on the type of ear disorder and the symptoms. Risk factors for hearing loss include exposure to loud noises, illnesses affecting the ear, certain medications, aging, and heredity. Illnesses such as meningitis may also cause hearing loss. The ears also may be affected by structural abnormalities within the ear.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with labyrinthitis?
The first step to caring for someone with labyrinthitis is to be aware of the symptoms and how they ...
How does earwax affect ear disorders?
Earwax, known as cerumen, plays a role in protecting the ear canal and keeping it clean. But for som...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?