What increases my risk for acute otitis media?

Acute otitis media affects both children and adults, but there are a few risk factors that determine who gets sick. While middle ear infections can be a regular occurrence for children between the ages of four months and four years, they are most susceptible between the ages of six and 18 months. Children get more ear infections because they have immature immune systems and the configuration of their Eustachian tube is shorter and straighter in a child than in an adult.

Because ear infections are a result of colds and viral infections, children who are cared for in group day care centers run the risk of developing otitis media more easily than their non-day care center peers. Also, babies who lie flat on their backs as they drink from a bottle tend to have more ear inflammation than those who do not.

In both adults and children, seasons play a large role in ear infections. Most people develop otitis media during fall and winter. Other factors that may make a child or adult more susceptible to ear infections include exposure to tobacco smoke, family history, and ethnicity. Research has shown that American Indians and Alaskan or Canadian Inuit Indians are more susceptible.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What are the different types of ear infections?
There are three main kinds of ear infections, which are called acute otitis (oh-TIE-tus) media (AOM)...
When should I call the doctor about my child’s ear infection?
Riverside Community HospitalRiverside Community Hospital
Children are particularly prone to suffering from ear infections, which occur when the middle ear be...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?