What increases my risk for inner ear decompression sickness?

Scuba diving to a depth greater than 100 feet increases the risk of suffering inner ear decompression sickness (IEDCS). IEDCS has been seen in shallow water divers, but it is far less common. The use of helium-oxygen mixture, rather than a nitrogen-oxygen mixture, also seems to increase occurrence of the condition. Failure to follow proper decompression techniques is another way to increase your risk.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
How common are ear disorders?
Some ear disorders are more common than others. Otitis media, or middle ear infections, has been dia...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with labyrinthitis?
The first step to caring for someone with labyrinthitis is to be aware of the symptoms and how they ...
All About Ear Infections
All About Ear Infections