How should I treat my child's earache?

A doc will often prescribe antibiotics for an earache, though many earaches are actually caused by a virus. And recent research suggests that taking antibiotics to treat an ear infection is associated with a higher likelihood of a recurrence. Ear infections, if viral, usually go away by themselves in three to five days. In the interim, you can give eardrops for the pain.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is microtia?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Microtia can be defined as a lack of development of the ear (auricle). This is a congenital deformit...
What is vestibular neuritis (labyrinthitis)?
Labyrinthitis occurs when an organ in the inner ear, call the vestibular labyrinth, becomes swollen ...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?