How can medicine help prevent barotitis media?

Persistent barotitis media may indicate blockages in the nose or in the eustachian tube, which connects the ear to the nose and throat. Doctors might prescribe antihistamines or decongestants to open the pathway for air to flow and equalize pressure. Sometimes antibiotics are prescribed to prevent ear infection. (They will also treat an existing infection that can serve as a cause for barotitis media.)

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
How is an ear infection treated?
Clark JensenClark Jensen
To help treat ear infections: Get plenty of rest.Take any medicine your doctor prescribes. Most of...
Are children more prone to ear disorders?
Children seem to be more prone to one type of ear disorder, ear infections. Blame simple anatomy for...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?