How does fluid build-up lead to acute otitis media?

The part of the ear that gets blocked by fluid is called the eustachian (you-STAY-shun) tube, which connects the inside of the ear to the back of the throat. Fluid may build up in the middle ear for several reasons. When you or your child has a cold, the middle ear can get filled with fluid just as the nose does, it just doesn't run out as easily from the middle ear. Sometimes the fluid becomes infected, leading to acute otitis media (AOM). After an episode of AOM has been treated with antibiotics or has resolved on its own, fluid may remain in the middle ear and may take a month or longer to go away.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is a glomus tumor?
David M. Vernick, MDDavid M. Vernick, MD
A glomus tumor is an abnormal growth of specialized cells that occure in a few areas of the body. Th...
When should I call the doctor about my child’s swimmer’s ear?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor if:The symptoms (ear pain or ear drainage) not improved in 48 hours with   ...
All About Ear Infections
All About Ear Infections