How does earwax affect ear disorders?

Earwax, known as cerumen, plays a role in protecting the ear canal and keeping it clean. But for some people, earwax can become impacted, causing symptoms such as itching, pain, a feeling of fullness, ringing in the ears, or even hearing loss. These symptoms can be indicative of another condition, so it's best to bring them to the attention of your doctor. Your doctor can safely remove the impacted earwax using a special instrument. Do not attempt to remove the earwax yourself by using a cotton swab or other foreign object, as this may push the impaction further into the ear and potentially injure the eardrum.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
How do I know my perennial allergic rhinitis isn't just a cold?
Ask yourself these questions to determine whether your perennial allergic rhinitis (a runny nose due...
Are children more prone to ear disorders?
Children seem to be more prone to one type of ear disorder, ear infections. Blame simple anatomy for...
All About Ear Infections
All About Ear Infections