How do ear disorders affect the body?

Ear disorders can affect different aspects of hearing and balance, depending on what part of the ear is affected. Problems of the outer ear can affect the ability to filter sound. Issues in the middle ear, which include the eardrum, may produce pain, a feeling of fullness within the ear, or hearing impairment. The inner ear is pertinent to hearing and balance. For instance, the vestibular system, an inner ear structure of three fluid-filled semicircular tubes, is responsible for sending messages to the brain about the head's movement. These messages affect balance. If the vestibular system is not working correctly, a person may experience dizziness or vertigo.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
When should I call the doctor about my child’s ear infection?
Riverside Community HospitalRiverside Community Hospital
Children are particularly prone to suffering from ear infections, which occur when the middle ear be...
How does aging affect ear disorders?
As we age, we become more susceptible to various ear disorders. Hearing impairment increases with ag...
All About Ear Infections
All About Ear Infections