What do I need to know about caring for someone with perichondritis?

Perichondritis is an infection around the cartilage of the outer ear, which is caused by bacteria that get into the body through a wound or scrape, or can happen when the ears are pierced. If the infection is not property treated, it can cause complications including permanent ear deformity if the cartilage becomes damaged or must be removed. To care for someone suffering from this infection, make sure they see a doctor about their symptoms, take their medications properly, and monitor their ear for worsening symptoms.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders