How is barotrauma diagnosed?

Barotrauma is a common occurrence and does not usually require medical attention. If the symptoms are severe and persistent enough to require a doctor, they will usually be able to diagnose the condition just by asking questions. They may also be able to see the eardrum pushed towards the side with lower pressure. In more serious cases, they may see blood or a break in the eardrum. Your doctor may want to test your hearing to measure the severity of the damage.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with ear disorders?
People with ear disorders need proper medication and support for hearing or balance difficulties. If...
What are some signs and symptoms of an acute otitis media ear infection?
Some of the signs and symptoms of acute otitis media (AOM) ear infections can include: fluid drai...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?