How do bacterial ear infections affect the body?

Bacterial ear infections can be caused by excess moisture or fluid build-up in the middle ear or ear canal, and are often a result of an infection that has spread from another part of the body, like from the throat or nose. When bacteria infect the ear, they cause the lining of the ear to become swollen and inflamed. The passages of the middle ear become increasingly blocked and fluid-filled as the body attempts to fight off the infection. This increase of fluid puts stress on the ear drum and makes it difficult for you to hear.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
Is swimmer's ear related to bacterial ear infections?
Swimmer's ear is a type of ear infection that affects the outer ear (called the ear canal) and can b...
What disorders affect the ear?
Common ear disorders can vary, depending on what part of the ear they affect. One of the most common...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?