Do ear disorders affect children differently than adults?

Children are more susceptible to middle ear infections, but less likely to be affected by hearing loss or balance disorders. Five out of six children have been diagnosed with a middle ear infection by age 3, but adults are rarely diagnosed with one. The prevalence of hearing loss also increases with age. Hearing loss in adults can be caused by exposure to loud noises or certain medications. Hearing loss in children can have a genetic cause, or it can be related to multiple ear infections or earwax. This hearing loss can impair children socially, as they may take longer to start talking and experience difficulty interacting with others.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is an earache?
Ear pain is generally the result of a buildup of fluid and pressure in the middle ear (the porti...
What is a glomus tumor?
David M. Vernick, MDDavid M. Vernick, MD
A glomus tumor is an abnormal growth of specialized cells that occure in a few areas of the body. Th...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?