What is the duration of inner ear decompression sickness?

Inner ear decompression sickness, a condition that affects scuba divers, usually occurs within 30-60 minutes after a dive. In the vast majority of cases, symptoms occur within six hours of surfacing. Symptoms, including vertigo, nausea, vomiting, and hearing loss or tinnitus, will continue until medical treatment is given. If left untreated, symptoms such as hearing loss can become permanent.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
How does fluid build-up lead to acute otitis media?
The part of the ear that gets blocked by fluid is called the eustachian (you-STAY-shun) tube, which ...
What is an otitis media with effusion ear infection?
Otitis media with effusion (uh-FEW-zhun), or OME, is a build up of fluid in the middle ear without s...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?