Does cholesteatoma run in families?

Although cholesteatoma can occur due to a birth defect, it is generally associated with frequent ear infections. For this reason, it's more important to assess your history with ear infections than your family history when you're trying to determine whether or not you have cholesteatoma. While most people who have ear infections don't develop a cholesteatoma, you should ask a doctor if you are at risk through reoccurring ear infections.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
Are children more prone to ear disorders?
Children seem to be more prone to one type of ear disorder, ear infections. Blame simple anatomy for...
What is otology?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
Otology is the field of medicine that includes problems of the ears, hearing and balance. Neurotolog...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?