What kind of doctor might diagnose an acoustic neuroma?

Acoustic neuroma can cause hearing loss, ringing in the ear, vertigo, unsteadiness and numbness or weakness of the face.  When a patient presents with such symptoms to an internist, they may order an MRI of the brain which confirms the presence of an acoustic neuroma.  Alternatively, depending on the predominant symptom, you may be referred to an ear, nose and throat (ENT) physician or neurologist and they too will recommend an MRI of the brain which confirms the diagnosis.

If you suspect you have an acoustic neuroma, you may start out by seeing your primary care doctor. Then, you might be referred to an ear, nose, and throat specialist (also called an otolaryngologist or ENT). Since acoustic neuromas affect nerves, a neurologist or neurosurgeon might also be involved.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.