Is there a cure for acute otitis media?

There is no cure for acute viral otitis media, which happens when a viral infection causes the lining of the middle ear to swell. As a result, fluid accumulates behind the eardrum and causes a middle ear infection which is painful. Because the viral infection is usually a common cold, there is no way to completely prevent the swelling of the ear that leads to otitis media. Acute bacterial otitis media may be cured with antibiotics, possibly along with a corticosteroid, or in some cases treated with minor surgery. 

There are ways to prevent the infection, such as avoiding tobacco smoke and air pollution, breastfeeding your baby, and immunizing your children, and there are medications that treat the illness. 

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
When should I see a doctor if I have an ear infection?
With ear infections, you should see a healthcare provider if you have: temperature higher than 10...
Are children more prone to ear disorders?
Children seem to be more prone to one type of ear disorder, ear infections. Blame simple anatomy for...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?