Do children grow out of bacterial ear infections?

It is fairly common for bacterial ear infections to clear up on their own, no matter what age you are. It is also fairly common for afflicted people to take antibiotics to help fight the infection. What children do grow out of, however, is their susceptibility to bacterial and other types of middle ear infections. As children grow, their ear passageways get wider, their immune systems get stronger, and their hygiene habits often become better. By the time they reach the age of four or five, the likelihood that children will come down with middle ear infections will have decreased significantly.
Swimmer's ear (another type of bacterial ear infection that affects the ear canal) can happen to anyone who doesn't keep their ears properly dry and clean. This condition is not dependent on age.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with labyrinthitis?
The first step to caring for someone with labyrinthitis is to be aware of the symptoms and how they ...
Are ear disorders serious?
Some ear disorders have the potential for long-term complications, including hearing loss and balanc...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?