What causes inner ear decompression sickness?

Inner ear decompression sickness (IEDCS) is damage to the inner ear caused by the formation of gas bubbles while ascending from a scuba dive. This usually occurs during dives to a depth greater than 100 feet, although it has affected divers at shallower depths. IEDCS usually does not occur by itself, but is accompanied by other manifestations of decompression sickness.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is otology?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
Otology is the field of medicine that includes problems of the ears, hearing and balance. Neurotolog...
What is a glomus tumor?
David M. Vernick, MDDavid M. Vernick, MD
A glomus tumor is an abnormal growth of specialized cells that occure in a few areas of the body. Th...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?