What do I need to know about caring for someone with cholesteatoma?

If you suspect that someone you are caring for has cholesteatoma, take that person to the doctor as soon as possible. Cholesteatoma, in most cases, must be treated with surgery or the growing cyst will become larger. Therefore, it is important that you have the person in your care evaluated as soon as possible.

If you are caring for someone with cholesteatoma who must get frequent ear washings, make sure to schedule the washings with your healthcare provider and keep to the schedule.

Finally, you must be observant of cholesteatoma if you are caring for someone who has chronic ear infections. In some cases, cholesteatoma can be prevented if you care for an ear infection properly.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is an otitis media with effusion ear infection?
Otitis media with effusion (uh-FEW-zhun), or OME, is a build up of fluid in the middle ear without s...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with ear disorders?
People with ear disorders need proper medication and support for hearing or balance difficulties. If...
All About Ear Infections
All About Ear Infections