Can I treat severe barotrauma on my own?

Barotrauma is common, and you can attempt to treat it independently before you seek medical attention. You can perform the Valsalva maneuver: close your nostrils with your fingers, close your mouth, and slowly breathe up into your nose. This procedure may clear the path of air into the eustachian tube. You can also take ibuprofen or acetaminophen to alleviate the pain.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What are the different types of ear infections?
There are three main kinds of ear infections, which are called acute otitis (oh-TIE-tus) media (AOM)...
What is vestibular neuritis (labyrinthitis)?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
Labyrinthitis is an acute inner ear infection that causes vertigo of sudden onset. The condition can...
All About Ear Infections
All About Ear Infections