Can cauliflower ear be prevented?

Prevent cauliflower ear by wearing a helmet or headgear anytime you play a contact sport, ride a bike, or do other activities that risk a blow to the ear. If you do get hit in the ear and a blood clot forms, you can prevent cauliflower ear if you see a doctor within several days. The doctor can drain the clot and bandage the skin and cartilage back together, which usually prevents cauliflower ear from forming.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Cauliflower ear can be prevented by wearing protective headgear. Wrestlers and boxers that have multiple blows to the external ear are prone to permanent cartilage necrosis leading to this cosmetic deformity. Immediate surgical decompression will reduce hematoma induced pressure necrosis of the cartilage. 

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is a glomus tumor?
David M. Vernick, MDDavid M. Vernick, MD
A glomus tumor is an abnormal growth of specialized cells that occure in a few areas of the body. Th...
How do I know my perennial allergic rhinitis isn't just a cold?
Ask yourself these questions to determine whether your perennial allergic rhinitis (a runny nose due...
All About Ear Infections
All About Ear Infections