Can barotrauma be prevented?

You are very unlikely to get barotrauma if you do not make any large changes in altitude. You may want to avoid flying and scuba diving if your nose is congested or if you have a sinus or ear infection. If you are going to change altitude, you can use decongestants to increase the flow of air to your ear. If flying, filtered earplugs can also reduce the risk of barotrauma by decreasing the rate at which pressure outside the ear changes. Drink water, but not alcohol and caffeine. If diving, make sure that your equipment is well vented and that you exhale on the way back to the surface.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is an ear infection?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
An ear infection happens when the inside of your ear gets stuffy, just like your nose. Your ear can ...
When should I call the doctor about my child’s ear infection?
Riverside Community HospitalRiverside Community Hospital
Children are particularly prone to suffering from ear infections, which occur when the middle ear be...
All About Ear Infections
All About Ear Infections