Can barotrauma be prevented?

You are very unlikely to get barotrauma if you do not make any large changes in altitude. You may want to avoid flying and scuba diving if your nose is congested or if you have a sinus or ear infection. If you are going to change altitude, you can use decongestants to increase the flow of air to your ear. If flying, filtered earplugs can also reduce the risk of barotrauma by decreasing the rate at which pressure outside the ear changes. Drink water, but not alcohol and caffeine. If diving, make sure that your equipment is well vented and that you exhale on the way back to the surface.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is microtia?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Microtia is the name for a disorder where the ears are not fully formed. Small flaps of skin protrud...
How does fluid build-up lead to acute otitis media?
The part of the ear that gets blocked by fluid is called the eustachian (you-STAY-shun) tube, which ...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?