How can I help prevent barotitis media?

You are very unlikely to get barotitis media if you do not make any large changes in altitude. You may want to avoid flying and scuba diving if your nose is congested or if you have a sinus or ear infection. If you are going to change altitude, you can use decongestants to increase the flow of air to your ear. Filtered earplugs have been recommended by some users to reduce the risk of barotitis media by decreasing the rate at which pressure outside the ear changes. Drink water, but not alcohol and caffeine, which can dehydrate you.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with ear disorders?
People with ear disorders need proper medication and support for hearing or balance difficulties. If...
How common are ear disorders?
Some ear disorders are more common than others. Otitis media, or middle ear infections, has been dia...
All About Ear Infections
All About Ear Infections