Are there alternative treatments for cholesteatoma?

Although surgery is needed to remove the cyst caused by cholesteatoma, thus avoiding further ear damage, ear cleaning is sometimes used as an alternative treatment for those who cannot undergo surgery. In this case, doctors rid the ear of the debris lodged in the sac that is created by the eardrum's elongation. Patients who have already had ear surgery may also require this occasional alternative treatment.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
How is an ear infection treated?
Clark JensenClark Jensen
To help treat ear infections: Get plenty of rest.Take any medicine your doctor prescribes. Most of...
What is an acute otitis media ear infection?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Acute otitis media is a painful ear inflammation of the middle ear. It affects mostly children and i...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?