Is there an alternative to treatment for hearing impairment?

Some people do not support extensive treatment of hearing impairments in children, citing the rich culture of the deaf communities. One major aspect of this culture is its unique language, American Sign Language. However, sometimes the cause of hearing impairment will continue to damage the ear if it isn't treated. There is also a risk of language development delay. If you are opposed to treatment for your hearing impairment, discuss this with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
What is vestibular neuritis (labyrinthitis)?
Labyrinthitis occurs when an organ in the inner ear, call the vestibular labyrinth, becomes swollen ...
What is an otitis media with effusion ear infection?
Otitis media with effusion (uh-FEW-zhun), or OME, is a build up of fluid in the middle ear without s...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?