Do allergies cause middle ear infections?

Allergies can increase the risk of middle ear infections. This is because allergies can cause congestion and the production of mucus. When this mucus gets into the Eustachian tubes and does not drain easily, bacteria and viruses may begin to grow, just as is the case with ear infections caused by a cold. Because of this, medications that treat the allergy symptoms may help avoid ear infections, especially for adults.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
When should I call the doctor about my child’s ear infection?
Riverside Community HospitalRiverside Community Hospital
Children are particularly prone to suffering from ear infections, which occur when the middle ear be...
What is hearing loss?
March of DimesMarch of Dimes
Hearing loss is when you can’t hear sound in one or both ears. It can range from mild to complete. H...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?