How is acute otitis media related to viral ear infections?

The medical term for a form of viral ear infection, acute otitis media is a brief infection of the middle ear. The "acute" term indicates the infection is not long lasting or chronic. Fluid or mucous is trapped in the middle ear, but will drain when the infection clears up.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
Do ear infections require antibiotics?
When an ear infection is caused by a virus, antibiotic treatment will not help it get better. Ear in...
How do I know my perennial allergic rhinitis isn't just a cold?
Ask yourself these questions to determine whether your perennial allergic rhinitis (a runny nose due...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?