Is acute otitis media contagious?

Acute otitis media is a middle ear infection that develops as the result of a viral or bacterial infection. Sore throats, common colds, respiratory infections, and other illnesses can be spread from one person to another. Ear infections develop from there and some children and adults are more susceptible to these infections that other. A person cannot catch an ear infection from another person.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
How does fluid build-up lead to acute otitis media?
The part of the ear that gets blocked by fluid is called the eustachian (you-STAY-shun) tube, which ...
How can I prevent an ear infection?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
To help prevent ear infections: Wash your hands often and have your children do so too. You can cl...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?