How does acute otitis media affect the body?

Having acute otitis media means having a painful earache. But it may also affect the way other parts of your body feel as well. One of the other symptoms of a middle ear infection include fever, which helps the body fight infection, but it also may make a persons head and muscles ache and cause a weak and overall tired feeling. Sometimes in young children and babies, a fever will cause vomiting, diarrhea, and a loss of appetite. Crankiness and dizziness are two other symptoms of otitis media.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
Are children more prone to ear disorders?
Children seem to be more prone to one type of ear disorder, ear infections. Blame simple anatomy for...
What are some signs and symptoms of an acute otitis media ear infection?
Some of the signs and symptoms of acute otitis media (AOM) ear infections can include: fluid drai...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?