Is acoustic neuroma an ear disorder?

An acoustic neuroma is an ear disorder. It is a non-cancerous tumor on what is known as the eighth cranial nerve, the nerve that connects your brain to your inner ear. This nerve, also known as the vestibular nerve, helps control balance. Acoustic neuromas can cause hearing loss, ringing in the ears, dizziness, balance problems, and facial weakness or numbness. If the tumor becomes large enough, it can press against the brain or brainstem and create a life-threatening buildup of fluid. Acoustic neuromas can be diagnosed through magnetic resonance imaging or other imaging procedures. Treatment options include careful monitoring, radiation, or surgery, depending on the size of the tumor.

Continue Learning about Ear Disorders

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
Are ear disorders serious?
Some ear disorders have the potential for long-term complications, including hearing loss and balanc...
What is an otitis media with effusion ear infection?
Otitis media with effusion (uh-FEW-zhun), or OME, is a build up of fluid in the middle ear without s...
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?
Can My Child Benefit from PE Tubes?