Which drugs are best for treating secondary dystonia?

For the most part, many of the drugs of choice for secondary dystonia also work well for primary dystonia and vice versa. Wilson's disease (which is a copper abnormality) requires a very specific treatment; therefore in a case of secondary dystonia caused by this condition, treatment of Wilson's disease will also treat the dystonia. Categories of oral drugs used to treat dystonia include anticholinergics, benzodiazepines, baclofen, dopaminergic agents/dopamine-depleting agents and others.

This content originally appeared on the Dystonia Medical Research Foundation website at www.dystonia-foundation.org.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

What types of dystonia are task specific?
Occupational dystonia refers to types of dystonia that are often task specific. Occupational dystoni...
How do I prepare for my doctor's appointment to discuss my dystonia?
If you are going to your doctor to discuss your dystonia symptoms, it is important to be prepared. K...
Can dystonia be treated?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
There is not yet a cure for dystonia, but there are multiple treatment options. The goal of treatmen...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with dystonia?
The severe symptoms that often accompany dystonia can impact a person's ability to manage day-to-day...