What role do gene mutations play in dystonia?

Not everyone who inherits a dystonia gene mutation will develop symptoms. Most of the dystonias for which gene mutations have been identified are dominantly inherited, meaning that only one parent needs to have the mutation for a child to inherit the disorder. However, most dystonia mutations also exhibit reduced penetrance, which means that not every person who inherits the gene will develop symptoms.

Scientists are actively seeking additional dystonia genes. Studying the genetics of dystonia will not only help refine diagnostic and reproductive technology applications, but it also contributes greatly to our understanding of dystonia and quest for better treatments and a cure.

Every time a new dystonia gene or gene mutation is discovered, it provides a therapeutic target for new treatment approaches.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

How do I prepare for my doctor's appointment to discuss my dystonia?
If you are going to your doctor to discuss your dystonia symptoms, it is important to be prepared. K...
Does dystonia get progressively worse over time?
Within five years after symptoms begin, dystonia stabilizes for most people. Symptoms do not get wor...
What are different forms of dystonia?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
There are many types of dystonia and many diseases and conditions may include dystonia as a symptom....
Can dystonia be treated?
There is not yet a cure for dystonia, but there are multiple treatment options. The goal of treatmen...