What can I do to successfully live with my dystonia?

Dystonia can have a profound impact on a person's life. Learning to live with the disorder can be an adjustment. Many people with dystonia describe the process of diagnosis and everyday coping as riding a roller coaster with dramatic ups and downs: there are setbacks and celebrations, challenges and victories.

Here are some strategies to live well with dystonia:
  • Seek out the best medical care.
  • Educate yourself about dystonia and treatment options.
  • Develop a multi-layered support system, including local support groups, online resources, friends and family.
  • Seek out the services of mental health professionals, if needed.
  • Investigate complementary therapies.
  • Get active within the dystonia community.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

Dystonia

When your muscles contract involuntarily, the condition is called dystonia. Dystonia causes a twisting or clenching of whatever body part is affected. For example, when you have a stroke, the affected arm and hand may be clenched ...

and held in a strange position. Dystonia can be very mild or very severe. It can make your life very difficult and this can lead to frustration, depression or anxiety. See your doctor to treat your symptoms and talk over your frustrations.