What are different types of focal dystonias?

Focal dystonias affect a specific group of muscles or body part. The following are different types of focal dystonias:
  • Blepharospasm: dystonia that affects the muscles of the eyelids and brow
  • Cervical dystonia (spasmodic torticollis): dystonia that affects the neck and sometimes the shoulders
  • Oromandibular dystonia (cranial dystonia): symptoms include forceful contractions of the face, jaw and/or tongue
  • Spasmodic dysphonia (laryngeal dystonia): dystonia that affects the vocal cords
  • Hand dystonia (writer's cramp): dystonia of the fingers, hand and/or forearm.
  • Lower limb dystonia: dystonia of the leg, foot and/or toes.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

At what point do doctors typically consider DBS for treating dystonia?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Doctors typically consider deep brain stimulation (DBS) for treating dystonia when the person has se...
What should be my first step in seeking the best treatment for dystonia?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
The first step in seeking the best treatment for dystonia is to work with a movement disorder specia...
Is it common for me to feel lonely or isolated because of my dystonia?
Loneliness and feelings of isolation are common among individuals with chronic illness, so it is not...
How are temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disease and dystonia related?
Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disease is an arthritic condition, not a dystonia. Oromandibular dysto...