What are different types of focal dystonias?

Focal dystonias affect a specific group of muscles or body part. The following are different types of focal dystonias:
  • Blepharospasm: dystonia that affects the muscles of the eyelids and brow
  • Cervical dystonia (spasmodic torticollis): dystonia that affects the neck and sometimes the shoulders
  • Oromandibular dystonia (cranial dystonia): symptoms include forceful contractions of the face, jaw and/or tongue
  • Spasmodic dysphonia (laryngeal dystonia): dystonia that affects the vocal cords
  • Hand dystonia (writer's cramp): dystonia of the fingers, hand and/or forearm.
  • Lower limb dystonia: dystonia of the leg, foot and/or toes.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

Is it common for me to feel lonely or isolated because of my dystonia?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
Loneliness and feelings of isolation are common among individuals with chronic illness, so it is not...
Can dystonia be treated?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Dystonia can be treated with medicines and surgery that reduce how often people have spasms and how ...
How can someone with dystonia be a Patient-Active?
If you have dystonia, there is no one way to be a Patient-Active. You decide what is best for you. B...
Do doctors still perform lesioning brain surgeries on people with dystonia?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Doctors use deep brain stimulation on people with dystonia rather than lesioning brain surgery. In t...