What are the complications that can arise from dystonia?

Dystonia symptoms may make it more difficult to accomplish daily tasks, and this can complicate day-to-day living. Depending on the part of the body affected and severity, symptoms may affect mobility, speech, vision, and other functons. Fatigue is common; some types of dystonia are painful. Specific treatment may be needed to prevent loss of motion in joints and/or curvature of the spine due to dystonic postures and movements. Individuals with dystonia may be more vulnerable to depression and anxiety disorders, including social phobia. A treatment approach that takes the whole person into account, and his/her specific needs, can help lessen the impact of these complications. 

Complications from dystonia can vary from person to person. Physical disability or deformity may result for people with severe symptoms. Pain and exhaustion often accompany dystonia because of the continuous muscle spasms, too.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

Is it common for me to feel lonely or isolated because of my dystonia?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
Loneliness and feelings of isolation are common among individuals with chronic illness, so it is not...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with dystonia?
The severe symptoms that often accompany dystonia can impact a person's ability to manage day-to-day...
Can I have dystonia in my neck?
Yes, dystonia affecting the neck muscles is among the most common types of dystonia. Dystonia in the...
Can dystonia be treated?
There is not yet a cure for dystonia, but there are multiple treatment options. The goal of treatmen...