What causes dystonia?

There are numerous possible causes for dystonia. These include genetic mutations, brain injury, certain medications, and additional medical disorders and conditions. For many patients, however, there is no obvious cause. 
The exact cause of dystonia is not known. Hyperactivity in certain areas of the brain seems to trigger symptoms of the condition. In some people, dystonia is hereditary. In addition, people who take antipsychotic medication or who suffer from other disorders like Parkinson's disease can also develop dystonia.
Dystonia is a movement disorder characterized by twisting or writhing and/or abnormal postures. Dystonia may be caused by a wide variety of diseases and conditions, including brain injury, stroke, and metabolic abnormalities, such as Wilson's disease. Brain injuries causing dystonia may be of traumatic origin, such as a blow to the head, or of environmental origin, such as a toxic chemical.

Alternatively, dystonia may result as a primary disorder of the brain, in which case a genetic cause is likely. At least 20 gene abnormalities have been associated with primary dystonia, of which the DYT-1 mutation is most common.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

What are the treatment options for dystonia?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
Treatment of dystonia must be customized to the needs of the individual patient. In general, treatme...
Can I have dystonia in my neck?
Yes, dystonia affecting the neck muscles is among the most common types of dystonia. Dystonia in the...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with dystonia?
The severe symptoms that often accompany dystonia can impact a person's ability to manage day-to-day...
What should be my first step in seeking the best treatment for dystonia?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Your first step in seeking the best treatment for dystonia is to visit your primary care doctor. Dys...