What are the treatment options for dystonia?

Treatment of dystonia must be customized to the needs of the individual patient. In general, treatment for dystonia is most successful when it addresses the whole person -- body (physical medicine), emotions (mental health) and spirit. Treatment generally consist of a combination of therapies:

• medication (oral and injected)
  • surgery
  • complementary therapies
  • supportive therapies

Because the causes and symptoms of dystonia vary, treatment is different for each individual. The aim of treatment is to minimize muscle spasms to help people lead as normal a life as possible. For some people, diagnosing an underlying disorder or stopping the use of a particular medication can help treat the dystonia. Other treatment options include medications, Botox injections, surgery, or deep brain stimulation. Deep brain stimulation involves placing an electrical device in the brain to control muscle spasms.

Deep brain stimulation (DBS) can reduce the intensity and frequency of muscle spasms associated with dystonia, but it isn’t a cure. A doctor will give people an idea of what to expect. DBS can be turned off or taken out if it’s not the best treatment.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

Can I have dystonia in my neck?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
Yes, dystonia affecting the neck muscles is among the most common types of dystonia. Dystonia in the...
What is the difference between dystonia and Parkinson's disease?
Symptoms of dystonia and parkinsonism can occur in the same patient, because both of these movement ...
How do I prepare for my doctor's appointment to discuss my dystonia?
If you are going to your doctor to discuss your dystonia symptoms, it is important to be prepared. K...
Is dystonia a mental disability?
Dystonia does not affect a person's mental ability. In some cases, people mistake those with dystoni...