Is deep brain stimulation for dystonia covered by insurance?

Deep brain stimulation (DBS) for dystonia received a special category of approval by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), called a “Humanitarian Device Exemption." In most cases, insurers cover the procedure. Some insurers may initially deny coverage but approve after an appeal. DBS for dystonia is covered by Medicare and Medicaid.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

Can I have dystonia in my neck?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
Yes, dystonia affecting the neck muscles is among the most common types of dystonia. Dystonia in the...
What should be my first step in seeking the best treatment for dystonia?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Your first step in seeking the best treatment for dystonia is to visit your primary care doctor. Dys...
Is dystonia a mental disability?
Dystonia does not affect a person's mental ability. In some cases, people mistake those with dystoni...
At what point do doctors typically consider DBS for treating dystonia?
Doctors typically consider deep brain stimulation (DBS) for treating dystonia when the person has se...