If my parent has genetic dystonia, how likely is it that I will inherit it?

The genetics of dystonia are complex. A genetic counselor can help families better understand the genetic implications in their particular case and whether they are eligible for testing. Genes have been identified for several types of dystonia including primary/isolated torsion dystonia, dopa-responsive dystonia, myoclonus dystonia, paroxysmal dystonias/dyskinesias, rapid-onset dystonia-parkinsonism and X-linked dystonia-parkinsonism.

However, not everyone who inherits a dystonia-causing gene will develop symptoms. Also, some people develop dystonia due to a gene mutation without any apparent family history. And to complicate things further, there are families in which many members are diagnosed with dystonia but no specific genetic mutation has yet been identified.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

Dystonia

When your muscles contract involuntarily, the condition is called dystonia. Dystonia causes a twisting or clenching of whatever body part is affected. For example, when you have a stroke, the affected arm and hand may be clenched ...

and held in a strange position. Dystonia can be very mild or very severe. It can make your life very difficult and this can lead to frustration, depression or anxiety. See your doctor to treat your symptoms and talk over your frustrations.