How is surgery used to treat dystonia?

Surgery may be a treatment option if you have dystonia symptoms that do not get better with other therapies. Researchers are actively refining current treatment strategies and collecting information about which patients may benefit the most from surgical treatments.

The majority of people with dystonia respond well to traditional treatments, such as medications. However, surgery may be an option for people with specific types of dystonia in which doctors can remove certain nerves to stop muscle spasms. People with dystonia in the eyes or neck may benefit from surgery.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

Is it common for me to feel lonely or isolated because of my dystonia?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
Loneliness and feelings of isolation are common among individuals with chronic illness, so it is not...
When do symptoms of dystonia occur?
Dystonia can occur in children and adults of all ages. There are numerous types of dystonia and nume...
What should be my first step in seeking the best treatment for dystonia?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Your first step in seeking the best treatment for dystonia is to visit your primary care doctor. Dys...
How do I select a medical center that offers deep brain stimulation?
To select a medical center that offers deep brain stimulation it would be best to talk with your neu...